The Downtown Incentive Program is closed as of January 1, 2023. This page has been left up for reference and to access related resources.
The City of Waupaca is pleased to provide financial incentives and technical assistance for downtown property owners and businesses wishing to upgrade their buildings. Eligible properties are located within the Downtown Incentive Program District boundaries.
The Downtown Incentive Program is closed as of January 1, 2023. Over the previous 18 months, over 60 downtown improvement projects were funded, resulting in over $2.5M in improvements including new facades, windows, painting, signage, and interior improvements.
For more information please contact Andrew Dane at email@example.com or 920.585.3593.
District Boundary and Program Summary
Guidelines and Applications
- Tax Credits for Historic Income Producing Properties
- Please Submit a W-9 Form with Your Application
Do any historical preservation requirements apply to buildings receiving financial assistance?
Proposed projects must meet all applicable building codes and zoning requirements. In addition, the following rules apply:
- Per program guidelines, any building within the district that is not listed on the local historic register and does not seek to use State or federal historic preservation tax credits should be rehabilitated in a manner that is consistent with and reflects the intent of the Waupaca Downtown Plan and Main Street Design Guidelines. Please contact City staff to discuss your project early in the planning process.
- Per the City’s historic preservation ordinance (https://library.municode.com/wi/waupaca/codes/code_of_ordinances?nodeId=CH17ZOCOREREOR07-06_SPRE_17.340HIPRCROR21-95) any property listed on the local registry must receive a certificate of appropriateness in order to make modifications to the building. See the City’s website for a list of locally designated historic buildings.
- Building owners wishing to utilize State of federal historic tax credits must comply with the secretary of Interior‘s rehabilitation guidelines.