C. H. Truesdell Home
The exterior of the C. H. Truesdell home “appears” original (wood construction) in physical appearance from the exterior. However, closer inspection shows that a majority of the house has been re-sided in vinyl. The scale of the siding is similar to that of the original clapboard, and does not detract from the home’s historic presence. Only the clapboard portions were covered. The gabled portions of the home maintain their original trim, as do the bargeboards and windows. The front (east) porch maintains its original appearance as well as the 2nd story east balconette. All window openings maintain their original sizes. Most of the home’s windows are original. The northwest room off of the kitchen could be original to the home. It is essentially built over the outside basement stairway. The footings are fieldstone; there may have also been an in-ground cistern here. This room may have originally been the “maid’s quarters.” Overall, the Truesdell home is in very original condition and appearance. The grounds also have a detached garage at the back (west) portion of the lot, which is not original to the home’s building era, the original carriage house probably sat in this same general location. Square footage is listed at 2577 sq. ft., not including the 3rd story (unfinished). North/South gables are trimmed in square shingle. The front gable is a panel design. All are original to the home. Large brackets give support to the 3rd story front gable.
The Truesdell home has maintained its original floor plan, except for changes made to the kitchen/pantry area. The front (east) entrance is accessed by an original large paneled white oak door with the upper half composed of glass. It is flanked by two side windows. The entry creates a vestibule area that “juts” outward onto the front porch. The foyer is lit by a chained globe, which appears original. The floor is a squared parquet design in, what is believed to be white oak. The floor has a thin (probably stained oak) border that follows the foyer’s floor plan. The stairway is a “half open” design; comprised of most likely white oak and original. The stacked paneled newel with rounded finial is also original and a common design in a late nineteenth (turn of the century) house. The staircase has an interesting small storage compartment below the main stair. The foyer doorway and window trim as well as the 10 inch mopboard are in white oak. The stair also has an unusual feature of a pocket door at the landing, which separates the foyer stair from the kitchen stair. Entry to the front (south) parlor is through double 5 panel pocket doors. The floor has a complex square parquet pattern of possibly white oak with a ribbon border around the perimeter in possibly cherry or maple. The parlor trim appears to be maple or, more likely, cherry. It does have a picture rail and coved ceiling. It has a large east facing “picture” window and south side standard double hung window. Door and window hardware is simple. The room is lit by a six light cast iron round fixture, which is most likely original. From the front parlor is access to the back parlor, which may have been a library or sitting room. These rooms are adjoined by 5 panel double pocket doors. The flooring is identical to the front parlor. Again, there is a picture rail and coved ceiling. The trim is also the same style and wood grain (likely cherry). The room is lit by the same style cast iron round 6 light fixture that adorns the front parlor. The room has a triple window bay style window seat and also a rear facing (west) standard double hung window. The room is dominated by an unusual fireplace mantle comprised of brick and terra cotta with fluted décor. It is flanked to the left (west) by a bookshelf, which appears original. Access to the kitchen can be from the back parlor or the short hallway from the foyer. This short hall also has the basement entry. The kitchen is in the northwest corner of the home. It has been modernized and changed but has a “period” feel. It does have the original pine floor. The kitchen also has access to the central stair. Off of the kitchen, near the dining room, was originally most likely a butler’s pantry, but has been converted into a bathroom. Connected to the kitchen is a back room, now used as a den. It appears to be original to the house or a very early addition. It may have been a maid’s room or served some utilitarian role as it has access also to the basement and a side porch entrance. The dining room is accessed by the foyer by a single 5 panel hinged oak door or by a 5 panel oak swinging door from the kitchen. The dining room has a diamond pattern white oak parquet floor bordered by a darker stained oak ribbon near the perimeter. It has a triple window seat (north) and a large front (east) facing “picture” window. Left of the kitchen entrance is an original china cabinet. All woodwork/trim is of white oak. The dining chandelier has triple shade lighting in a “japanned” finish. It is most likely original. The 2nd floor is comprised of 4 main bedrooms at each corner. The front (east) facing bedrooms are adjoined by a sitting room. All of the bedrooms have their own closets except for the front (northeast) bedroom, which now has a “master bath” which may have been converted from a closet(s). Between the rear facing bedrooms is a full bathroom, which still has its original pine/fur wainscoting. The bathroom has newer fixtures but a “period” feel. Flooring throughout the 2nd floor is 2 ¼-inch maple. Trim/woodwork appears to be of the pine family, possibly fir. Doors are 5 panel. Mopboards are 10 inch. All original to the home. The upstairs newel is also a stacked paneled design with a rounded finial as in the foyer. The stairwell also has its original handrail. Ceiling height is 8’6” on the second floor and 9’6” on the first floor. The basement is a “full”, with a stone/cement foundation and a concrete floor.
The C. H. (Clarence Henry) Truesdell home began construction in 1900 and was completed in 1901. The home is one of the more prominent in Waupaca, closely reflecting the taming of the era in Queen Anne Architecture. Home styles were becoming more subdued by 1900. C. H. maintained a Pharmacy in Waupaca from 1894 until 1915. He and his wife Jennie (Browne) were prominent in the community. Jennie was the daughter of E.L. Browne.