Soo Line Freight House
Twenty by 40 brick structure. 85 foot long wooden platform with a 25 foot ramp at one end. Building is unaltered from its appearance when it was in use.
Three freight loading doors, brick walls, cement floor, and freight agent’s office.
The first Soo Line Freight house was made by converting the First Wisconsin Central Passenger Station in Waupaca. In 1948, when the next door Central Bowling Lakes burned, the wooden Freight house caught fire and burned down. Until a new Freight House could be constructed a baggage car temporarily served in its place. The Waupaca Freight house served area businesses and individuals who shipped or received less than car load freight. The loading platform also served businesses who did not have their own rail sidings. The platform was probably used into the 1980’s. This was the site of Waupaca’s first 2 passenger stations. The first scheduled Trains of the Wisconsin Central Railway ran between Menasha and Waupaca in 1871, the Waupaca Trolley to the Wisconsin Veterans Home and the Grand View Hotel on the Chain O’Lakes terminated on Oak Street at this site.